Thursday, September 09, 2010

Sea Buckthorn North Fife 2010

Sea Buckthorn, I planted a few saplings at my home last year because of its benefits to health and well being. The small, yellow flowers appear in spring before leaves. Both male and female sea buckthorn plants are needed for fruit production.
Sea buckthorn is used for land reclamation and to prevent soil erosion because of its extensive root system and its ability to fix nitrogen and other nutrients.
A wonderful addition to the home pharmacy and garden.

Sea Buckthorn fruits.
Although sea buckthorn has many benefits, it is most frequently used for the treatment of diseases of skin and digestive tract. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbiological activity, relieves pain and promotes tissue regeneration. Sea buckthorn oil is traditionally used to treat vaginal mucositis, cervical erosion, radiation damage, burns, ulcers and skin damage. Recent studies have shown that sea buckthorn may also improve heart health.
The best known but also most studied property of sea buckthorn is the improvement of wound healing. Topical treatment of wounds with extracts or oil from sea buckthorn relieves pain and accelerates wound healing. Animal studies showed that sea buckthorn stimulates the healing of gastric ulcers.
The berries have very high levels of beta-carotene, vitamin C, vitamin E and flavonoids. The vitamin C level of 3600 ppm is about 10 times higher than that of oranges. The seabuckthorn berries are also rich in vitamins B1, B2, K and P.



2 comments:

Margaret said...

After reading how sea buckthorn soap had helped someone's rosacea I tried it with positive results. I find the oil especially good for flareups. Thank you for all the additional information about sea buckthorn's other benefits. There is always something interesting on your blog and I look forward to it.

Margaret

Peter Mannox said...

Hi Margaret,
I'm glad you find it interesting, I know my posts are a wee bit random and according to some eclectic but I do my best, I have no particular axe to grind and am happy to look at anything should anyone wish.
Peter